Wednesday, February 6, 2013

On New Year's Resolutions

Maybe it's because I'm a cynic; maybe it's just because it's the truth.
When is the best time to make a resolution? The minute it occurs to you? A week after? Does resolution necessarily have to be synonymous with repentance?
Every year, as January 1st approaches, people begin to create these wonderful and high-reaching goals and resolutions for themselves. I'm going to exercise more. I'm going to eat right. I'm going to be more proactive and not procrastinate. And though these are all well and good, the fact is that they're meaningless! Isn't it the truth that New Year's resolutions are made precisely because no one plans to keep them? Wouldn't it be better to make a resolution whenever precisely because you are planning to keep it? Shouldn't we be looking over our lives and what we do constantly instead of just at the end of the year?
Maybe it's because I think the world is full of hypocrites; maybe it's just because I am one myself.
My own resolution, without going into detail, is important not because of the time frame surrounding it. I have struggled and struggled and as Darcy would say, it will not do. My feelings on the subject will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love yo-- well not quite. But the point is that I have come to grips with my thoughts, with my actions, and with my very being. My resolution is perhaps more important because of the lack of timing. Since I live in a culture obsessed with time and punctuality, it only makes sense that these things will bleed into my very actions. However, this time I may need to give myself some slack -- or not! -- I can't be sure. Shall I be severe upon myself for a fault which I have no desire to struggle to overcome? Shall I give up before the venture is even started because of my own selfish desire for entertainment and completion? It is best to learn to reign myself in. Just because I cannot detest it in the moment does not mean that it is something that should be pursued with reckless abandon.
Maybe it's because it's consuming my life; maybe it's just because I want to live again.
Please, God, I want to live again.

No comments:

Post a Comment