Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Relationships and Power Struggles

Day 6
The saying goes that the person who cares least in the relationship is the one with the power. As unfortunate as that may sound, there is a lot of truth in the statement. Children have quite a bit of power over their parents and are apt to misuse this relationship in various ways. The husband and wife scenario, whether they be ordinary or abusive, someone holds power over the other. Even friends, especially girls, will create drama by placing expectations on the other person and get upset when they don't live up to those invisible "rules." I see this over and over again with two of my dear friends. Though they both care for each other, the fact is that the one has an over-reliance on the other girl and her opinions and thus is hurt more often. It's not that the one girl is trying to hurt her, but her abrupt nature and her desire to see the other blossom into a self-independent person creates conflict between them. Of course, in life the expectation is that a "healthy" relationship will be able to move from some sort of power struggle into a balance.
It's funny how so many things in life come down to balance.
This makes me wonder though, I know that there is one relationship in particular where I have always felt.....well for lack of a better word, unbalanced. It has always felt like I am the one who cares too much and my affections aren't returned, or at least not to the same extent. I know this person loves me, but it has been a struggle at times to keep to myself when all I want is to lavish some sort of attention on them. Because of this, a lot of my interactions with this person has come down to teasing and bickering. By adding that level of distance, of boundary, of some sort of sarcasm and silliness, it becomes a situation where I have the power. The joking masks my kinder actions, like some sort of thorny exterior to a sweet interior. Not that that helps our relationship any. But isn't it better to keep yourself safe? Would it be better for me to show them how much I love them, how proud I am of them, only to be scorned for the affection I'm trying to show? I don't think I could stand that. Ridicule me all you want, but ridicule my selfless or kind actions towards you and see just how much you lose. Or is this more my overwhelming desire for respect?
I don't know how to fix this problem. Is there even a problem? Perhaps not in their eyes, but in my opinion I can't stand the limbo!
Where is the balance when you're trying to avoid more pain to yourself? Do you risk it and suffer or keep them oblivious?

No comments:

Post a Comment