Sunday, February 10, 2013

Youth and Beauty?

Day 4
When does youth become an asset more than an excuse? It seems as if teenagers use their age as an excuse to do the crazy/dangerous/stupid things they do. And yet, the older generation bemoans their wasted years and remark on how much they could have done in their youth if they had set their mind to it. I have no desire to accomplish great things. I like simplicity. I like comfort and stability. To accomplish anything requires sacrifice and hard work. Or is my issue with hard work? Youth of this era, especially in the United States, are notoriously lazy about getting jobs and being proactive about their tasks. And here comes another confusing part. Adults tell you to enjoy youth in one breath, and in the other are encouraging us to exercise our responsibility. Why is life all about balance? I personally like extremes. Extremes mean finality; extremes mean truth and opinions that people live up to. Extremes to mean are the opposite of hypocrisy. Perhaps this is taking the translation of the word too liberally, but the point remains. Hypocrisy versus taking a stand, whether you end up being wrong or right. You can admire a man for his dedication even if you disagree with what he stands for.
This has just become too twisted and rambling for my tastes. I'm not sure whether I'm arguing for something or against it. At least I'm thinking about it? Better than most people my age who are trying to dull pain and anger and confusion. Maybe that's the thing here: youth becomes an excuse when we choose not to face the problems that are at the heart of our actions. If you can recognize your pain, laziness, ignorance, etc then maybe there is hope for this generation yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment